The Katherine Museum
Posted: 17 September 2019
Suitable for the whole family to enjoy!
For an interesting and educational day out head to the Katherine Outback Heritage Museum during your stay with us. It’s the perfect place to learn about our regions cultural heritage and diverse history.
At the Katherine Museum you can browse a wide collection of artefacts, documents and photographs including:
- The Overland Telegraph Desk that dates back to 1872
- The Planetarium made by a Russian Peanut Farmer
- The Clyde Fenton Gypsy Moth
- The First Beef Roads Grader
- The Punt Boat that Jeannie Gun used to cross the Ferguson River
- The Mirrlees Generator from the original power house
- Early Indigenous Artefacts\
- World War II objects The O’Shea Collection – Written and donated by Peter and Maureen Dunham
- The McLaren’s Report – History of the early Police in the Katherine and Territory
- The Brentwood Collection
- The Railway Album – Building the bridge 1926
- Hand sketched record of service Katherine WWII
- The Newmarch collection
- The Wadey Collection – Early Katherine
- The Shadforth Collection – Early Katherine
- The Campbell Collection – War years Katherine 1942
- The Peter Sing Collection – Town Icon donated by Dorothy Sing
After you’ve checked out the museum you can retreat to the peaceful surrounds of their beautiful onsite garden. Be sure to check out the gift shop where you can shop for a range of souvenirs, historical books, didgeridoos and gifts.
The Katherine Museum is located at Lot 2922 Gorge Road Katherine. They are generally 7 days per week during the dry season (April to September) and then operate on reduced hours over the wet season (10am to 2pm weekdays. Closed weekends and public holidays) Please note that the cafe is currently closed until 2020. The museum is closed from December through to February. Admission fees apply. Visit their website for more information.
At Beagle Motor Inn we like to provide our guests with a personal experience so if you are looking for things to do or see in the area feel free to visit our reception and we will be happy to help with recommendations and tour bookings.
Book your accommodation staying at The Beagle Motor Inn and enjoy a central location in the township of Katherine, with a choice of accommodation including double, twin and family rooms. At Beagle Motor Inn you can also enjoy access to our outdoor pool and spa, complimentary WiFi* and onsite tour booking service.